Skip to content
Bradshaw’s Guide

Salford

(Oldfield Road)

This is a borough town, joining Manchester, with a population of 102,499, who return one member. Its principal buildings are St. John’s cruciform Roman Cathedral, by Weightman, 200 feet by 130, with a spire 240 feet; the west front is a fac-simile of Howden Church, York. The Town Hall, Market Place, by Goodwin, House, of Correction, Barracks, Schools, Trinity Church, built in 1634, Library, Lying-in Hospital, Dorcas Society, print works and factories. In the vicinity is Kersall Moor; here the troops were encamped in 1848. Byrom the poet and stenographer was a native of Kersall Cell, the seat of Miss Atherton.

Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.