Skip to content
Bradshaw’s Guide

Corbridge

This place was once a market town, and had a monastery in 771, when it was called Corabridge. It was burnt by the Scots in 1296. The church, which is fortified, was built from the ruins of Corchester, half-a-mile west, where are the Roman Carstopitum, and coins, remains of a bridge, altars, two Greek inscriptions, and a silver votive tablet, of 148 oz., have been found, and has a peel tower in the churchyard. In the vicinity is Dilston which was the seat of the unfortunate and misguided Earl of Derwentwater.

Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.