Skip to content
Bradshaw’s Guide

Fort George

This fort, erected in 1746, covers 10 acres, and holds a small garrison. There is a ferry here across the firth, on the opposite side of which (in Ross-shire) is Fortrose, once the seat of the Bishop of Ross; the remains of the old abbey still exist. Further east aoout 1½ mile, is Rosemarkie, and 3 miles further, the Burn of Ethie, where Hugh Miller’s geological discoveries were made.

Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.