Skip to content
Bradshaw’s Guide

Leighton Junction

This small market town, of 4,330 inhabitants, who make lace, and straw-plat, is situated in Bedfordshire. The branch to Dunstable turns off here; and the Ouzel, a branch of the Ouse, divides the town from Bucks and the chalk hills on the west. These hills are part of the range which, in south Bucks, run through the Chiltern Hundred (see Windsor), giving name to a nominal office, by which a M.P. is enabled to vacate his seat. Leighton Church is a good Gothic cross, with stalls (for the priests of one or two priory cells, that were here), and a tall spire, 193 feet high, before about 25 feet was struck down by lightning, 16th July, 1852. Its ancient Cross near the market house, also deserves notice, as a genuine relic of early English work, built about 1300, and stands 34 feet high on 5 steps, and set off with pinnacles and niches.

In the neighbourhood are the following places. Slewldey, and its excellent Norman Church, on the Chiltern hills, Liscombe House, Lady Lovett, the old Elizabethan seat of an ancient family. Aston Abbot’s House, seat of Sir James Ross, the Polar navigator, Wing Park, Lord Overstone the banker. Whaddon, on the hills, once the centre of a large chase or forest. Great Brickhill, Hon. P. Duncombe.

Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.

Places nearby

  • Bedfordshire : Bedford

    The agricultural capital of Bedfordshire, 16 miles from Bletchley, at the terminus of a branch from the North Western line.

  • Berkshire : Windsor

    The seat of her majesty the Queen, and of her ancestors from the period of the Conquest. Eton College also is within a short distance.

  • Hertfordshire : St. Albans

    This ancient town of Herts, should be visited for its venerable abbey church, and that of St. Michael’s, which contains an excellent full-length statue of Lord Bacon.