Skip to content
Bradshaw’s Guide

Cockermouth

A market town, with a population of 7,057, who return two members, situated at the junction of the Cocker and Derwent. It contains manufactories of woollens, ginghams, hats, and stickings, tan-work, collieries, a public walk by the river, market place, three chapels, grammar school (with a good library), hospital, two bridges, St. Mary’s Church, rebuilt in 1850, situated on an eminence, with the Wordsworth (a native) memorial window, and ruins of a castle, consisting of walls, west front, drawbridge, tower, &c., which was dismantled in 1648, and help Mary, Queen of Scots as a prisoner in 1568. In the vicinity are the seat of Major Skelton (at which many Roman antiquities have been found), St. Helens, Rev. J. Bensom, and Woodhall, J. Fisher, Esq.

Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.