Skip to content
Bradshaw’s Guide

Milton

Brampton is a curious old-fashioned place, with 2,379 inhabitants, engaged in the check and gingham factories. Close at hand is Naworth Castle, seat of Lord Carlisle. It was occupied by the Pretender in 1745. Here is a grammar school, erected on the site of an hospital, founded in 1688. Below, in Mary’s Holme, are the gate and towers of Lanercost Abbey, as old as the 12th century. Walton House, seat or W. Johnson, Esq., Castlesteads, Irthingtor Cross and Watchcross.

Spotted a mistake? Suggest a correction on GitHub.